Saturday, May 17, 2008

Just thought I'd check in and see what folks have been up to. It's been a blur here in SF.

My countryesque band, Gayle Lynn and the Hired Hands, just got a two gig tour of San Francisco, including sneaking my electric guitar into what was supposed to be an all-acoustic show at the Bazaar Cafe, in Seacliff, and a nice little set at the El Rio in the Mission District, which was a benefit for the Avon walk for breast cancer. I got away with the stealth electric thing because Les, the owner, a man of taste and sensitivity, was impressed by the minisculitiy (is that a word, Diane?) of my little 5-watt tube amp.

My jazzesque operation, Annie Z and the Best She Could Do, played the same club last week in a completely acoustic fashion, with our bassist playing his new Tacoma bass guitar unamplified. It went surprisingly well, although the recording didn't come out quite like we'd hoped. Bad balance. TOO acoustic. I figure that we need 7 inputs to the board. to make it work. Two vocals, all three instruments, and a stereo pair in the house for ambience. We need to hire our own geek.

Both of these are what I call Bowling Night Bands. We don't do it for the money. We do it because not doing it leaves a hole in our lives. Annie is a schoolteacher and mother of two, Scott, the bassist, works for Ideo, a design firm, and I supply culture-hungry Marinites with fine musical instruments.

The other regular musical outlet in my life is a monthly get-together in Berkeley, called the Singthing, where about 20 or 30 of us have a potluck and sing everything we can remember. It usually takes about 5 hours. There's a core group of 3 guitars - David Gans, who hosts "Dead to the World" on PRI, and a Grateful Dead channel on Sirius, Eric Rawlins, an Appalachian music fan and singer/songwriter, and me. Eric is the meat and potatoes, David adds the spicing, and I'm... well, I guess I'm sort of a vegetable. And then there's a rotating pool of fiddles mandolins, banjos and other guitarists. A lot of pros and semi-pros show up, like Mike Stadler, Henry Kaiser, Tom Rozzum and Laurie Lewis. We've been doing this for over ten years and it's the social center of a lot of our lives. Some beautiful stuff happens at these things.

Life isn't entirely sunny. I came home from a rehearsal the other night, moved one load of equipment upstairs, and got a phone call. After dealing with the call, I went senior and forgot that I hadn't finished bringing in all my stuff. The next morning, I found that someone had broken into my car and run with my beautiful old '73 Gibson RB250 banjo. You know how these things go. It's in another state by now, and I'm going to need to buy a banjo, since I use it to teach. But I'll never be able to afford a sweetie like the one that got away. I'm being pretty buddhist about it, but I can't help feeling stupid.

Just so as not to end on a downer, here's a peppy little earworm that was sent to me by my friend Ed Ward, in Berlin. There's a kid's show on TV over there, called "Schnappi, das Kleine Krokodil", and the theme to the show was one of those out of nowhere hits that went straight to the top of the charts and drove people nuts for a month or two. It was HUGE over there. If you listen to the production, it's ludicrously low-budget, and may even have been a bedroom deal. Coupla synth tracks and a kid's voice. Don't blame me if you find yourself singing in German when you're out walking. Well, go ahead. Blame me. I'm still trying to figure out how to get even with Ed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe3FG4EOgyU

Can't get the damned thing out of your head, can you?

7 comments:

Diane Smith said...

RIK! You made it!

Sorry to read about your banjo, though. Depending on what kind of insurance you have (on home or car) it might be covered.

Your small crocodile song is great -- I love the Egyptians -- but you should have passed on its neighbor at youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMHAV2gGJJs&NR=1

And while you are at youtube, here's one for you. Sweet Home Alabama will never sound the same again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lNFRLrP014

Rik Elswit said...

Oh, Rockversion Schnappi was my first shot at getting back at Ed. Funny how heavy metal goes down so well in Germany and Russia. It's not all that far from a march. But the original version has it's uses. When it's closing time at Bananas, I put it up on the house PA and all the 15 year-old rockers instantly put down the guitars and leave. Fast. It clears the house in a hurry.

Insurance? Hah! I have just enough insurance to get me off the hook if I hit somebody. Nothing in there about 5-strings that you're stupid enough to leave in a car overnight.

I see your "Sweet Home Alabama" and raise you a "Smoke on the Water".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt8wFNDzx10

Diane Smith said...

I can't top that one!

That guy's harmony brought tears to my eyes.

Gary and Susan Mullen said...

Bummer about the banjo, senior moments do take a toll. If you need to borrow my Goldtone OB-250 you are welcome to it till you find a replacement. Not an RB-250 but it goes plink, plink.
Rik, the Schnappi song is SICK. How do I get it out of my head? Even the Russians and the Japanese couldn't help.
Here's my contribution to further confound your senses http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8PDB1LgCNs
If you need Sound Geek,I work for food!

Rik Elswit said...

You just have to let it run its course, Gary. I can usually flush it out with something off the live Vasen album, but that just opens up another can of worms.

I forgot to mention one of the best parts of the Singthings. It's a potluck thrown by a bunch of serious Berkeley foodies. If it's an evening 'thing, I make a point of missing lunch. You can sing for food. The payoff can be awesome.

There's one this Saturday evening, and I'm putting the finish on a couple of tunes and getting ready to cook up some jambalaya.

Unknown said...

Oh no! Maybe this is why we hide up in mountains, don't even have a key to our house. Why when I go to any ciy of size I suffer major city paranoia. How much time passed before you went back to your car?
Just when I thought this blog site was bombing, we get this outstanding input! Helen
Anyone wanting to come hide from the world with, we'd love it!
from Bob: I've got a 70's Gibson Mastertone that needs a friend, I haven't played it in years. Ralph played it at the reunion and said it sounded good. Your welcome to it, but you and Norma have to come and get it. We don't do city anymore.

Rik Elswit said...

Helen, I completely forgot that I hadn't brought everything up from the car. The phone call had been about work, and I got sucked in and just spaced it. When I got up the next morning to make coffee, I noticed that the banjo case wasn't in its usual place, and my stomach sank. I immediately beat it downstairs and around the corner to the car, and sure enough, it was gone. That and a small 5-watt practice amp.

Since I'd planned to bring it up immediately, I hadn't even put the throw over it. It was just screaming "Take me!"