Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Europe Strikes Back

I've already posted some video of my favorite live band, the Swedish group Väsen, showing off their superb guitarist, Roger Tallroth. And we had a bit of the Austrian/Swiss Kruger Brothers, featuring the astounding 5-stringer, Jens Kruger. John posts the video of a bunch of drunken vikings jamming with a tractor on "Sweet Georgia Brown".....

And for a while, in the 70s, the two finest Tele benders in country music were a couple of Brits, Ray Flacke and Albert Lee.

And now, just to show out of control this has gotten, here's another Swede, Martin Tallstrom, playing both parts of "Dueling Banjos" on solo guitar. This guy is the best Jerry Reed style fingerpicker since Buster B Jones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvMUfLp1zI

Here's "Jesse James". Tallstrom has the Scruggs thing down solid on a guitar in standard tuning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XZgzxb0yz4&feature=related

And here's a ragtime original, Martin's Rag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MxLCY7mI-A&feature=related

6 comments:

Diane Smith said...

What I love about getting older is that what goes around always seems to come around again. Like new! I think even my favorite Russians were recycled at least once. LOVE that music.

Chris said...

Thanks Rik! I think I posted Martin's version of "The Ballad of Jed Clampet" (Beverly Hillbillies Theme) here, as well as his stellar version of "Jerry's Breakdown". It's not so much that he can play this stuff, it is more the ease in which he plays it. Martin is my Favorite picker these days.

Chris said...

Opps, I think I posted Martin's version of "Foggy Mountain Breakdown", rather than the "Ballad of Jed Clampett"....... talking about loving getting older, I have oldtimers desease.

Gary and Susan Mullen said...

One smooooth operator! I love the tag at the end of Duelin' Banjos.
I don't see how it gets much better then this.

Rik Elswit said...

I've4 got "Duelin Banjos" memorized, but I've onloy got it up to about half speed. Some of the licks require you to really squeeze all four fingers into about two frets and then do pickoffs. But what's really fun is to play the stuff on electric with a bit of compression.

I've never been a fast flatpicker, but stealing from this guy is making up for it.

Listen to that last one, "Martin's Rag" all the way through. It's not all that difficult from a physical standpoint, but it's so original. I can't make out who he's been stealing from.

And remember, amateurs borrow. Professionals steal.

Diane Smith said...

Martin's Rag was my favorite, too.

All of these dueling ukes gently weeping lead to several youtubes of George Harrison live and now to Harrison and Leon Russell. Wonderful.

That site is dangerous! I've got work to do.