Tuesday, July 20, 2010

See what you've done?


I don't really do a single anymore. I play backup for others. But PR1 and PR2 got me back in the saddle. Especially having to make up Plan B onstage. So I let my colleagues at work talk me into doing a set at a show were doing Thursday with the acts being people who work here, or have in the past. Gayle and Tom are out of town this week, so I can't use the people I normally work with, so I've Roped in Steve Kallai, from 77 El Deora, on fiddle, and my old buddy Scott Underwood, from Annie Z and the Best She Could Do, on bass. I'm sure we'll come up with something.

The kicker is that they pulled a photo out of my Facebook stash for the poster. This is my mom and me in 1949, puttering in the garden of our place in North Hollywood.

5 comments:

Diane Smith said...

Rik, that photo is AMAZING! I wish I could be there!

Rik Elswit said...

Mom was a vaudevillian. She and three other girls from Boston were a rollerskating act called the Hollywood Blondes. She was the little one that they tossed around. She married her agent, bailed on the act, and actually got to go to Hollywood.

Unknown said...

Totally cute! Your mom was a beautiful women and that adorable little red headed boy started his career at a very young age. No biz like show biz.

Diane Smith said...

Hope it was a great show!

Rik Elswit said...

It was, though it wasn't at all what we'd planned. Scott and I had a four-song, "Reunion-style" set planned, and I'd sent Steve some mp3s of it, but when we went out back to have a 10 minute rehearsal, I'd left the looper at work. So it wound up more Reunion-style than I'd planned.

So I taught them Misisipi Mike's "Free From These Bars" on the spot, substituted Bob's favorite, "True Love" for "Basically Bresh" and setup a guitar/fiddle duet on Mississippi John Hurt's "My Creole Belle" All this 10 minutes before we were to go on. And Steve and I had never played together before.

We went up and killed. Old age and treachery always wins out over youth and skill.