Wednesday, July 8, 2009

On The Radio

Norma and I are sitting in the KPFA studios, listening to Steve tuning up and getting ready to be interviewed on David Gans' "Dead to the World". And since I don't use Twitter, I figured I'd post to the blog. Live blogging, I think they call it. Since David's an old friend and singing partner of mine we figured to show up and be family and moral support for him and Steve both.

Well, it's 9:00 and it's just music for another half hour. David just wiped some stuff he had on his computer and is typing like mad into his computer trying to access his carts. And he's done it. Amazing how computerized everything in the world is. Steve just passed David the Edge Of The World album in a perfectly executed Nashville Handshake.

OK, event announcements and Steve opens by playing one live. He's on, and he's ON. Sounds great. You can hear this stuff at kpfa.org. Opened with "Bringing it Back Home" On to "Buy For Me The Rain".

Discussion of the state of the biz and the fact that it's devolving to a model of a small record company for each artist.

More music. Don't know the material enough to know the titles of the new stuff, but he's in great voice. "A Very Different Mile" No wonder I didn't recognize it. Not recorded yet. If I had any money, I'd pay to hear this.

Last tune. Next DJ just moved in to set up his intro music. This is going to time out perfectly.

11 comments:

Diane Smith said...

WOW! Thanks Rik.

That's very cool. Felt like I was there with you and Norma.

Gary and Susan Mullen said...

Norma&Rik...Thanks for the Blow by Blow.It was just like the old days of radio. Been wondering what Steve has been up too and now I know.

Rik Elswit said...

I had orginally intended to type my way through the show, but I don't have that journalistic instinct. Spent most of my time sitting and enjoying it.

Jim Marshall, the rock photographer once remarked that what differentiates a serious photographer from a guy who takes pictures is that when the action starts, the photographer reaches for his camera. Us guys who just take picture always see if we can get in on the action first.

Rik Elswit said...

And, of course, "picture" should have been plural. I can't even rite.

Gary and Susan Mullen said...

What's wrong with "take picture"?
I think you wright very well grammar!

Unknown said...

This is big time, San Francisco! Go Steve! Thanks for rite up Rik.

Rik Elswit said...

The show is archived and available for the next two weeks at:

http://www.kpfa.org/archive/id/52267

Steve's portion begins around 1:27

Diane Smith said...

Thanks, Rik!

Listening to it now.

Diane Smith said...

And Jimmie Fadden, too!

I'm still singing that Canned Heat song.

Unknown said...

Just recieved a new fab CD in the mail from a mysterious friend, CD is Greg Copeland "Diana and James" the cuts we've heard so far are really fine. Go forth and purchase to support an old friend, even if HE didn't attend our reunion.

Gary and Susan Mullen said...

Great piece of work from Greg Copeland...Don't miss it!
You can listen and buy at CD Baby:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/gregcopeland