Sunday, January 24, 2010

Here's a photo to go with Gary's song.....



I usually go to the SPAM museum every spring when I do graveyard duty in Austin, Minnesota.  My grandfather worked at Hormel's until he retired.  The museum is a definite stop if you are ever out in the middle of nowhere on I-90.  It's unlike any corporate museum you'll ever visit. 

You enter through the piggy doors, and learn all about the history of SPAM, including the Hormel Girls who toured America during WWII singing, playing and selling war bonds -- and SPAM.  You can even watch a little Monty Python's spam and eggs, eggs and spam, spam and spam routine.

And I just saw this reminder, which I'd forgotten ...... "If you’ve ever wondered what goes into a can of SPAM, you’ll find out here.  'Everything but the squeal' they say. Just what we were afraid of."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were all those visits to the Spam museum what turned you into a vegetarian?

Diane Smith said...

I think I was born a vegetarian, Sherry, which is how I can make it through all those Spam exhibits. I was serious ... I love it there!

(Nice to see you here, by the way)

Diane Smith said...

I should say _almost_ vegetarian.

I may eschew the Spam and the Haggis (with it's sheep's awful/offal) but when Rand mentioned Lutefisk... now we're talking!

I don't have those Minnesota genes for nothing after all.