Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Haggis Revisited

Did you know that "haggis is popularly assumed to be of Scottish origin but there is a lack of historical evidence that could conclusively attribute its origins to any one place or nation"? (Understandable. Who, after all, would want to take responsibility for its creation?)

Did you also know that "haggis is used in a sport called haggis hurling, which involves throwing a haggis as far as possible"? (this makes eminent sense: get as far away from haggis as possible.)

The Irish have their problems, let's face it. They drink too much and cry over card tricks. (Apologies to my Bingham and Griffin ancestors.) But at least there is no sound historical evidence that they invented haggis. So to honor their innocence in this matter I have penned a St. Patrick's Day limerick.

In a pub a man asked what my bag is
I replied, "I'm a maker of haggis"

His eyes widened with fear
And he spat in my beer

As I moaned what a drag is this haggis.

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Soon I will post a picture of my personal haggis...

3 comments:

Diane Smith said...

And a top of the morning after to you, too, Jan!

I was wondering if they made bagpipes out of sheep's stomachs, but I guess the bag is not a hag after all.

Gary and Susan Mullen said...

Oh No!The unruly Haggis is back to torment us all...again.

Unknown said...

Awe, suren you warm my part Irish heart with yer wee bit of a poem.