Thursday, November 19, 2009

For old times' sake

OK, Boys and girls, here's one I know you'll enjoy... right down at the Paradox root level. And I’ll trust you all to bear with me here – this is a story that needs telling, and this is definitely the right forum. I learned that Jackson was doing a solo acoustic concert in Durham, N.C. at the gorgeous Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC) on Nov 11th. As has been my custom in the last decade, I called him and invited him to dinner, and, as has been his custom, he had to decline... explaining that with no break between his Durham and Asheville concerts, his voice really needed that time to rest. This invite/decline thing between us has become something of a tradition, and we both chuckled as we saw this fourth installment approaching.

I told him how sorry I was to have missed seeing him and the rest of the Paradox gang at the reunion, and that I'd sure like to exploit his presence so near my home and visit briefly after his DPAC show. He agreed that would be fun and said he'd arrange for passes... how many would I need? We settled on five, since Leigh and I and three of our four daughters were planning to attend. Our conversation was light and easy, and I felt that warmth unique to old friendships.

We got to our seats 30 minutes before show time and had great fun studying the audience Jackson attracts with his solo acoustic concerts... some older than me and a few younger than my late 20s/early 30s daughters, but most in between. One thing that I noticed right away was that everyone was smiling... even folks not chatting but just waiting were smiling. It was clear these 2,800 people (sold out show) were really pleased to be there... really pleased at the prospect of watching Jackson perform in pretty much the same manner we remember from the coffee house days.

Now for the fun. He started off with Barricades of Heaven, relaxed and sounding strong. And when the applause died down after his third song, out of the blue and into the silence he said, “I wonder if my friend Tony would join me up here... Tony Duque, are you out there?... you wanna come up and do a song together?” I was blown-away... I mean, no one there could have been more surprised than I was. Leigh and the girls probably came in a close second. I hollered, “are you serious!?” through cupped hands, but I doubt he heard me over the chorus of audience voices approving of his offer. Within seconds I was up and on my way to the stage... and, yes, immersed in a cloud-nine fog.

Once up there, after a warm hug, he asked what I wanted to play, and I suggested Colorado, one of my favorites from the old days. He countered with Song For Adam, and I said, “even better.” He picked out a guitar (from his rack of 15!)... an old J-45, I think. He asked if I’d be OK playing open in D with him in C on the second fret... you bet. My guitar was tuned perfectly, of course, but I took the liberty to drop the bass to D. He said, “pull that piano bench over here,” and as soon as I was settled he just started playing… a slight grin on his face.

From that point on, everything just came naturally... and effortlessly. Really, it could have been another Paradox hoot night. He proceeded to play and sing his beautiful song flawlessly, and from what I could hear, our guitars sounded crisp and balanced. Despite the fact that we hadn’t played together in over four decades, I really think the song came off nicely, and that my contribution was additive... even though I did lose my place a little during what I think was my “break.” We finished it with a somewhat (my bad) synchronized slow strum of the Bm, and after exchanging thank-you’s and another warm hug, I sort of floated back to my seat... and back through whacks on the back from strangers and from my excited family.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t report that his concert was simply fantastic... classic Jackson Browne. I’m certain no one there would say otherwise. He honored almost every request... played for more than 2 ½ hours and everyone walked out smiling. He’s still got it all, that’s for sure... and he’s still having fun, no doubt about it.

You guys already know this, but what I hope the folks who were there that night will realize and remember is that Jackson took a leap of faith, and demonstrated a lot of trust, in order to play some music with, and tip his hat to, an old friend. I have no idea how this was perceived by the audience (owing to that fog I mentioned), but I hope it was at least entertaining. For me... well, it was a real honor and such a pleasure... great fun and a thrill I will never forget. I just kept thinking, what a pal!

Thanks for wading through this l-o-n-g post. I sure hope it warmed your hearts as much as the experience warmed mine. Here’s a pic of the happy pro and the even happier amateur, and one with the family. You all take care out there! - Tony





5 comments:

Diane Smith said...

Oh, how I wish I could have been there to hear you two. Next time!

Not only did it make me smile, it made me a little teary eyed. To think we're all back together again.

Thanks for sharing this.

Rik Elswit said...

Tony, you just put a big smile on my face. Thanks for bringing that back to us.

Rand Launer said...

Beautiful.
I can just imagine the sounds and the light and the warmth.
That brought a big smile to me as well.
Thank's Tony.

Unknown said...

Far out! Tony, Leigh and family, what a warm lovely tale of the appreciation of 2 old friends, JB wouldn't have invited you up unless his memory of your extreme talent wasn't. Thanks for sharing.

Gary and Susan Mullen said...

What a great story, Tony.It always touches my heart and soul to see a musician acknowledging the roots from whence they came.
Rock on home boys!