Saturday, July 26, 2008

All work and no play

Did my damnedest to clear the decks and come up for the Rough and Ready dealie, but work won't let go of me. Y'all would be finished and headed home by the time we got there. Say hi to Steve, Ralph, and Michaelray for me, and book another one soon.

I hit a milestone of sorts last week, and now have as many banjo students as guitar students. I've dressed Tex's banjo up with a calfskin head, took off the resonator and flange, raised the action, and now have the killer clawhammer axe. It sounds great for the old timey stuff, and now I have to really woodshed that stuff. It's more difficult for me than the three-finger. I only get to teach one day a week (Thursdays), so I don't have much trouble filling the roster. But I'm looking forward to the day when I can give up sales and teach full time. It's much more enjoyable, and pays better, too.

Finally got the Gayle Lynn CD in the can. As always with these things, I listen to it and all I hear is what I should have played. But it does sound pretty good for a bunch of middle-aged white people. We've put the release party off until September since everybody's off on various vacations and business trips. Norma and I are being homebodies.

That's the news from Fogtown, folks. Remember, live music is best, so go out and see some, or go out and be some.

4 comments:

Diane Smith said...

Rik, if all else fails you can always come up to Montana for the fair.... The Dirt Band will be here August 6.

I'll miss the reunion reunion, but really looking forward to seeing the Dirt Band again. The last time was more than 20 years ago!

Unknown said...

We will miss you Rik and Norma but understand. Going to be fun, I'll give a report after the fact.
Diane, give a hug to the members of the Dirt Band that were of the Paradox days.......Helen

Diane Smith said...

Will do, Helen. In the meantime, see if you can get a couple digital photos from Rough and Ready.

And maybe Rik can have a second release party for his new c.d. there at some point? (Congratulations, Rik!)

Gary and Susan Mullen said...

FYI>>>> The NGDB is doing a free outdoor concert Aug.3, I think it's in Palm Desert. Check the NGDB web site for details. Ralph and I will be at THE BAR-S ranch so won't be going. Tell them we said Hey, if any you make it.