Friday, September 10, 2010

New Addition to the family


I've been in music retail for almost 20 years now, and I'm pretty much immune to gear lust. I really do limit buys to what I need professionally, and I quit collecting guitars when I retired from rockstardom... In fact, about 10 years ago, I got real about what I play, and what I'm just keeping around because it's cool, and I sold off most of them. But, about three months ago, Martin shipped us this OM-28V for store stock, and I couldn't believe how good it sounded. And on closer inspection, I could see that it had an Adirondack spruce top, which Martin usually charges you an extra $650 for. So we had this $4000 guitar that we could sell for $3300. And I tried to sell it. I really did. I put it in the lap of every serious player that came in. But, while everybody oohed and aahed over it, nobody bought it.

After a month of that, and after playing the thing so much myself that I'd had to restring it twice, I said what the hell and made plans to sell off almost everything else I had that was worth playing (keeping the Taylor for stagework, of course). And on the day I applied for Social Security, I went back to the store and asked Alan, my friend and boss, if I could buy it, and he gave me the greenlight. That meant that I could buy the finest Martin to come through Bananas in 15 years, and he wouldn't make any money on it. Folks, this is the nicest guitar I've ever owned. Period. I get up in the morning, and I can't wait to play.

3 comments:

Tony Duque said...

What a great story, Rik! Thanks for sharing it with us. You know, as close as you are to "the guitar" as thē tool of your chosen path, I'm amazed that you haven't fallen in love with and acquired more of them... even since exiting those glam-stages. The fact that this instrument succeeded in wooing you speaks volumes about how very special it must be. I've only played one guitar that came close to prompting the sale of precious possessions... a truly stunning early 90s S-model Lowden... but I concluded it was a little too bright and backed away. Listen, I hope your love affair grows... and that you'll bring your that guitar to PR3 and let me savor what CFM can still produce. - Tony

Diane Smith said...

Congratulations, Rik.

May you and your new guitar have many happy days together. Can hardly wait to hear the two of you on the Paradox stage.

Nice to see you here, too, Tony.

Gary and Susan Mullen said...

IMO, you can never have too many guitars.
Glad you found one that spurs your creativity.
Tony nice to see you lurking in the background. Welcome back we were starting too die a slow death.