Monday, February 21, 2011

This Just in from John Besharian -- The Orange Julius Mafia

 
 
 
 
Okay folks, I need help ID'ing the miscreants in this drawing. Anyone from those days in the crowd? How about from Facebook's "Fullerton Memories", or The Paradox? Mecca? Troubadour? Golden Bear? Sid's Blue Beet? The Mon Ami? Fullerton JC? "Teeny Boppers" from the High School? "Hello?" In fact, I just received this today. It's a drawing by Leonard McCartney of the "Orange Julius Crowd" from "Back in the day". Left to right, it's "Len", Gene Gudath (w/"Ming" his cat) and Jay, his wife, Buddy Joe Bair, Her brother; two guys I can't quite place, myself and Penny Nichols. What a "Blast from the past" this is. 
 

By the way. I've started referring to the O J Crowd as: "The Orange Julius Mafia" because one of the guitarist's from "City Blues Band" (who lived in apartment #2, I lived in #4. Those are my windows in the drawing), Clair (Edward - "Fast Eddie") Solberg, started calling me "Godfather" when we reconnected on Facebook last year. He just recently passed away, as did both my roommate, Dennis McFarland, and one of my best friends (and best man at my wedding), Gene Gudath. (He's the tall one depicted here. By the way, Penny, I remember that dress.) 
 
What a wonderful life it's been. Thank you, one and all.  
  
Sincerely,  
John Besharian 

7 comments:

Diane Smith said...

Click on the drawing for a much larger version. What a talented group of young people!

You can also find John on Facebook, but I don't know how to link to that.

Diane Smith said...

And from John again:

John Premo adds that he's "reasonably sure the two 'unidentifieds' are Steve Elliot on guitar and David Hartzheim in the back. Is that a harmonica in his hand? It's a great depiction."

Rik Elswit said...

Speaking of old friends, I just found out that the Songwriters Hall Of Fame has anounced the 2011 inductees. They are Garth Brooks, Leon Russell, Billy Steinberg & Tom Kelly, Alan Toussaint, and...... wait for it..... John Bettis, of John and Maury. He went on to join the band that became the Carpenters, and has had quite a career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bettis

Unknown said...

We are back on line. Had BIG snow storm, 3 ft. knocked out our power for 4 days. Now we have a broken pipe and no water....it's worth it though, living up here, love the solitude.

Rik Elswit said...

So you spent your time curled up next to the fireplace? How'd you say warm?

Unknown said...

The wood stove provided our warmth, our water (melted snow)a big pan of melted snow makes about 3 inches of water. We used it for 1st. washing dishes, 2nd bathing, then for flushing. We did have drinking water.The very worse thing was cabin fever. Activities very limited with no water,no electricity. We had our driveway plowed after the 3rd day, helped with my sanity.

Diane Smith said...

Drinking water is good. So is a plowed driveway.

The other day it took me 2.5 hours to shovel out and by then I was too tired to go anywhere.