Thursday, February 18, 2010

"Who was that masked man?"

 A Gary L. Jackson posted a risque photo on my, and a lot of others Facebook walls. I responded with the following: Ah, yes. "Bullets Lavern, The Vamp of 42nd Street". What was that drummers name who auditioned for us away back then at the Paradox? That was the name of one of the songs he sang. The other one I remember was "Don't Eat The Monkey's Bananas Sport", sung from the viewpoint of a zookeeper who would be out of clean up work if the monkeys didn't eat enough to, um, eliminate, shall we say. (She'll go in both folders: "Is A Clean" - "Is A Dirty". By the way, who was the comedian who had a whole series of jokes built around that punchline back in the '60's?)

5 comments:

Rand Launer said...

Yes of couse.
The other way around is later though.
Gary wasn't even there.
That's what he told me as he was leaving.

Gary and Susan Mullen said...

Whatever you said,I concur. Huh?

Diane Smith said...

I remember Hard Hearted Hannah, but if Lenny Bruce got his start at the Paradox, it must have been before my time.

Unknown said...

Simply not true.....He played at the Golden Bear, that's the closest he ever got to the Paradox.

Gary and Susan Mullen said...

If I remember correctly about half of the H.B.P.D. were at the G.B.as well.